TWG is always interested in speaking to individuals seeking seasonal tax positions who are eager to gain exposure to a broad range of technical issues that apply to individuals, families, and businesses with cross-border interests. TWG is also searching for individuals who embrace TWG’s values and consistently provide solutions for clients and colleagues.
About the Job
CHALLENGE: Prepare/review tax returns for World Bank employees, expatriate executives, employees of international organizations (IMF, IDB, United Nations, etc.), globally mobile entrepreneurs, and families with global assets.
GROWTH: We are seeking professionals who are looking for a long-term relationship with our firm.
SCHEDULE: This is a recurring seasonal role, dedicated to serving clients during the spring tax season (late January to April 15) and fall tax season (optional). Hours start at 20-30 hr/wk in January and ramp up to 45+ hr/wk (45-60, depending on individual agreements) in March and early April. Part-time, hourly work may also be available for interested individuals between April 15 and October 15.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: The position kicks off in mid-January with extensive training and onboarding, culminating in an all-staff annual training week at the end of January. We conduct ongoing training year-round.
LOCATION: The position is based in TWG’s Fairfax, VA, office, although remote work arrangements could be considered for professionals with the right experience.
- You are energized by the prospect of stimulating work
- You love tax and have a solid foundation in individual tax compliance (and knowledge of at least one other area of tax, as well—e.g., corporate, partnership, gift/estate, or trust)
- You are a seasoned professional who interacts comfortably with intelligent, successful (although not always tax-savvy) individual tax clients
- Although you may have worked full-time year-round in the past, you now appreciate a flexible schedule that allows for reduced (or no) hours outside of spring tax season
- Your superior organizational and project management skills enable you to skillfully manage complex projects with multiple moving parts
What You’ll Do
You will be part of a team that prepares (mostly) individual tax returns with many interesting foreign elements, each of which introduces a puzzle and variety into the tax preparation process. Common forms and schedules include Form 1116, 2555, 8938, 8621, 3520, 3520-A, 5471, 8865, 8833, 926, 965, 1040NR, and 8288-B.
- Prepare/review U.S. individual tax returns for U.S. residents, expatriates, and foreign nationals with diverse financial interests. Prepare/review certain entity returns, as needed (e.g., partnerships, corporations, trusts—depending on technical experience)
- Learn continuously about nuances in the tax treatment of individuals with foreign assets and income
- Deliver a high level of client service by communicating directly with clients to manage expectations, explain tax implications, obtain missing information, and strengthen client relationships
- Set and adjust priorities daily, in line with project load, new information received, budget and deadline requirements, and client satisfaction considerations
Your Background and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and CPA, JD, or EA
- 3 to 10+ years of U.S. tax compliance experience with a public accounting firm, with a focus on private client services or high-net-worth individuals
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- High integrity and client-service focus
TWG provides a range of tax services to clients. Familiarity with some or all of these services is a plus but not a requirement, as we provide training in these areas: foreign financial assets (FBAR & FATCA); international corporate taxation; tax planning for high-net-worth individuals; corporate, small business, and entity taxation; changes in residency status; tax equalization; expatriation (Exit Tax); IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs (OVDP); passive foreign investment companies (PFICs); and foreign pensions, trusts, and investments.
TWG provides a friendly, supportive and highly professional environment with a team-oriented culture. We offer competitive compensation and employ the best of the best.
TWG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.