This is a big decision— and one that should be carefully planned from both tax and immigration perspectives. On the tax side, you will need to file specific forms to end your tax obligations. It is not enough to give up your citizenship. Instead, you must certify to the IRS that your last 5 years of tax returns are accurate and have been filed with the IRS. Also, you may be subject to an “Exit Tax” on your net worth. Learn more about our Exit Tax services. [internal link to “Service-Individuals and Expats-Exit Tax Planning] information.