Yes, the Withholding Certificate allows you to get an early refund (around closing time) of your FIRPTA withholding, but you still need to file a tax return to report the actual sale. Generally, you can file a tax return as early as late January of the following year. This is when the IRS typically opens the filing season. Also, you may need to file a state return to report any state tax owed on the sale.

Is this your first time filing US returns? No problem. We regularly help nonresidents with these filings. To learn more about FIRPTA, watch our video.